Contacts

P. Puzino str. 12,

Panevezys, LT-35169

Tel. (+370 45) 461431

Fax. (+370 45) 467558

E-mail: paneveziopn@paneveziopn.lt

History

The first prison in Panevezys dates back to the time of the Administrative and Judiciary Court Reform of 1565-1566. However, because of the laws of that time the prison was rarely full, which was especially true during the disturbances that marked the 17th and 18th centuries. At the end of the 19th century there arose a need for a new prison building. In spite of the townspeople’s view that the prison’s current location was not a good place for a prison, a new building for 400 convicts was opened there in 1893. In the immediate aftermath of the First World War the prison was empty, but shortly after it was filled up again. In 1935 it housed 301 male and 33 female convicts, including 5 children. In 1960 the prison was reorganized into a Women’s Penitentiary. At present it is officially known as the Panevezys Correction House.

Currently, the Panevezys Correction House has the capacity to house 430 convicted women. In addition, there is a custodial facility for 28 women.

 

PANEVEZYS CORRECTION HOUSE IN THE CONTEXT OF LITHUANIAN PRISON EDUCATION

Updated on: 10/27/2017 2:31 PM
Share |

Norway grants

Newsletter

Subscribe
RSS