Contacts

Trakų str. 10, LT-76286 Siauliai, Lithuania
Phone     +370  41 430 921  
Fax.        +370  41 430 936
Email. administracija@siauliuti.lt

Print

History

Siauliai Remand Prison is 220 km to the North-West from Vilnius. It was built in 1911. Remand Prison has got 17 hectares of land from the occupation tsarist government. The main red-brick three-storey block was equipped with cells for 150 prisoners, hospital, kitchen, bakery, church, pharmacy, doctor's office, toilets and bathrooms. Administration red-brick three-storey block was equipped with prison administration offices and residential apartments. Bathroom and laundry room was located in a separate red-brick two-storey building. Housekeeping rooms were equipped in a red-brick two-storey building. Two brick vaults were also built, they were top-dressed with ground from the top. The mortuary was equipped as well. The whole area was surrounded by a red-brick fence of two-bricks thickness, it was covered with galvanized tin. A wooden fence and 2 wooden gates from the yard side were built. In December 4, 1911 new Siauliai prison and the church were consecrated. In period of tsarist government a prison was called the 2nd Siauliai county jail of Kaunas province. At that time 28 wardens in Siauliai prison worked.

During World War II, Siauliai prison was evacuated, and the Office of the prison was moved to Panevezys.
In the period of independent Lithuania Siauliai Remand prison was subordinate to Prison department of the Ministry of Justice, prisoners - to the Prosecutor office. In December 6, 1921 a hard labour department near Siauliai prison was opened, and on the 1st of February, 1922 a hard labour Prison was established. Since that time the number of prisoners has dramatically increased. In 1921 there was 61 prisoner (43 men and 18 women), in 1922 - 343 prisoners (316 men and 27 women), and in 1926 - 588 prisoners (553 men and 35 women) were kept, though there were only 323 places. The prison staff was 90 administrative workers, of which – 72 wardens, a chief, two deputy directors and three medical staff, a teacher and four priests. The Prison had carpenters’, blacksmiths’, metalworkers’, shoemakers’ workshops, also sewing, and bindery. It also had a string orchestra consisting of 16-17 people, a school  which was attended by about 60 prisoners, library wit 1200 books. A church was also equipped. The Prison had his farm outside the city. The prison was general for men, women and children. At that time suspects, prisoners sentenced to hard labour in prison, ordinary prisoners, people under arrest, transit and political prisoners were kept there.

In 1940 Soviets occupied Lithuania and reorganized Lithuanian prison system by the model of Soviet prisons. In the Ministry of the Interior a Prison department was established, Siauliai prison got number 5. In 1940-1941 Lithuanian people who didn’t suit the Soviet government were imprisoned here. Charges which fell under article Nr. 58 were brought against them (counter-revolution crimes, terrorist attacks, propaganda and agitation, participation in a criminal organization, espionage, an active struggle against the working class). When the war started, Siauliai prison inmates were evacuated - some were taken to Jelgava, others - to Leningrad prisons.
During the World War II prison was hosted by Nazi troops. They imprisoned not only Jews, but unruly Lithuanians as well. In the period of 1941-1944 people from the prison in large groups were transported to fusillade, and new detainees took their place immediately.
Since 1964 Siauliai prison functions as a Remand Prison and here suspects and arrested persons: men, women and juveniles are kept here. It is subordinate to the Prison department. Siauliai Remand Prison serves 26 central and Western districts of Lithuania.

Updated on: 12/30/2013 2:10 PM
Share |

Norway grants

Newsletter

Subscribe
RSS